|Matt Whitegiver on Left|
|Me, Tommy and 221 lb Black Bear|
Here are a few things I learned about BEARS from this Bear Hunting season:
1. Bears will not tolerate strange smells at a bait site
2. Bears will tolerate strange smells at a bait site
3. Bears LOVE strange food smells at the bait site and will run in to investigate
4. Bears will come back to a bait site where another bear was shot
5. Bears won’t come back to a bait site where another bear was shot
6. Bears fear wind and heavy rain
7. Bears love wind and heavy rain
8. Bears still moving after shot should be shot again . . . repeat as often as necessary until bear stops moving.
9. Bear ribs when slow cooked are freaking delicious
10. Bears are fantastic animals to hunt. Just when you think you have them figured out they surprise you again and again. No matter what you know OR think you know about bears, sometimes when the chips are down, you just need to throw a hail Mary pass and pull a new set of tricks out of your pocket to have any chance at tagging a massive bruin!