|ARRGH! Fish Have Teeth!!|
As your child busies themselves reeling in their prize, your heart will be racing and you will no doubt forget to pull out your camera! This would be a MISTAKE OF TITANIC PROPORTIONS! Make sure to have your camera handy at all times when fishing with your kiddos, for it will be the moment that you forget the camera or fail to take a photo when the most amazing and memorable events will occur.
|Netting Farm Pond Bull Frogs|
Another decision you will want to make before the first catch is your stance on catch and release. Are your plans to keep, kill and eat the fish or throw it back for whence it came? In my opinion both plans have merit. To keep, kill and eat a fish is a great opportunity to teach youngsters how to quickly and humanely kill game, where food comes from (not Styrofoam packages at the grocery store!!), and how to properly clean and cook a fish. Letting the fish go, teaches conservation, preservation, moderation and a bunch of other words ending in –tion. REMEMBER, fish and game laws may not allow you to keep your child's first fish so make sure to read your law book before heading out.
For More On Fishing With Kids Check Out These Posts:
1. Hook Kids Into Fishing – Introduction
2. Hook Kids Into Fishing – Hooks and Lures
3. Hook Kids Into Fishing – Putting It All Together
4. Hook Kids Into Fishing – What If We Catch Something
5. Taking A Kid Fishing Yields Happy Memories - http://www.themaineoutdoorsman.com/2011/02/taking-kid-fishing-yields-happy.html
6. Lil Man Catches First Fish